Re: [exim] bounce per lang

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] bounce per lang
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Jason Morehouse wrote:

> Anyway, what's the best way to bounce message per language.. or
> character set I would guess.

Take care! Several bona fide senders from Russia and the ex-USSR are
sending me mails in us-ascii, which just happen to be sent with one of
the Cyrillic character codings - the Russians sometimes with koi8-r,
but mostly (strange as it may seem) predominantly in the proprietary
windows-1251 coding - only rarely in the ISO Cyrillic encoding. This
closely matches the charset pattern of the Cyrillic spammers, in my
experience, to the extent that it's practically worthless as a
distinguishing factor.

If you're interested in a personal anti-spam recipe, assuming that you
don't read and aren't interested in Cyrillic, maybe you could check
whether a substantial proportion of the characters are indeed
Cyrillic. But as some of our *users* read and write Cyrillic to their
correspondents, this isn't a technique that we dare use at the MTA
level.

hope this helps a bit