Re: [exim] Using a centrally located exim server in a home n…

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using a centrally located exim server in a home network
Hello Kene,

Kene Meniru, 03.09.2005 (d.m.y):

> I am trying to configure exim4 on 1.2. All systems have local mail configured
> and working, except 1.1. Each system has the same users available however
> these users have to log into each machine to get their mail on that machine.
> This was not a problem when there was only one user with two machines. Now I
> would like a central mail location with each user's mail sent to their
> machine from this location. Using IMAP perhaps, in order to have each user
> manipulating their mail in the central location.

When using IMAP on the central location there will be no need anymore
to send users' mails to their machine.

> The following are my choices in the dpkg-reconfigure prompts:
> Split Configuration into small files? No
> General type of mail configuration: mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP
> or fetchmail
>
> System mail name: kpata
>
> IP-addresses to listen on for incoming SMTP connections: (blank)

In this case, exim will listen on each interface available, e.g. lo
and eth0 - makes sense.

> Other destinations for which mail is accepted: homelink.net
>
> Machines to relay mail for: 192.168.1.1/10
>
> Machine handling outgoing mail for this host (smarthost): [(ISP mail server)]
>
> Hide local mail in outgoing mail? Yes
>
> Visible domain name for local users: illom.net
>
> Keep number of DNS-queries minimal (Dial-on-Demand)? No

IMO this looks good.

> I have tried to follow the directions for debian installation of exim4 but
> have found that either the instructions do not work for me or my particular
> topology is not mentioned. Also, I would like access to changing the config
> file by hand but get confused by the variables. I have tried the
> configuration in so many ways that I do not know where to start to list my
> choices.

Take a look at /var/lib/exim4. You'll find the monolithic exim
configuration file in this directory.

> If somebody has a similar setup that I do - multiple machines accessing mail
> from a single location,

Remember: Access to your mails stored on the central location shall
work via IMAP as you mentioned before...

> and exim4 on that location getting DNS from another
> local but networked system, please tell me how you did it.

exim uses DNS in the way you defined it "globally" for your system,
i.e. by asking the nameservers specified in /etc/resolv.conf.
Maybe you just have to add static host entries to your /etc/hosts.

> Also, I am relatively not a linux expert yet, so any advice in terms of
> setting up a proper email server will be appreciated. For example is it
> possible for me to send email directly to the world from my system? I have
> Internet connection through an ISP using DSL with dynamic IP assignment.
> However I am connected 24/7.

This is not recommended as more and more mail servers don't accept
mails from hosts with dynamically assigned IP-addresses coming from
ISPs' dialup pools.
Use a smarthost instead.

Gruss,
Christian Schmidt

--
Aus einer Kleinanzeige: Verkaufe vollelektronischen Fensterheber für
Windows95.