Re: [exim] OT: Abusive mailserver

Author: Tony Marques
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] OT: Abusive mailserver
This is one of the reasons why a while back I was complaining about
Exim's stupid and archaic auto-thaw function (ignores 5xx errors
stupidly too). This though is in an entirely different vein where
list servers don't monitor and don't care about bounces -- important
information where some good services even have useful reporting not
only monitoring delivery/bounces but also reading (with image tags
that are logged/monitord) and then click-thrus...

I should actually gather a list of one or two extremely good and
inexpensive list servers that do this so that company C can get rid of
indifferent company B and stupid company A and also get better results
and more information about their mail outs, hopefully for less money.
I'm sure there are a lot of good companies out there cuz once
developed (and there are are some open source solutions) then it is as
inexpensive as anything else.

Unfortunately, when I used to notify/complain to people about them
being infected by viruses and included a bunch of URLs to different
companies (including free URLs to like AVG's free antivirus and
Avert's free antivirus as well as links to major companies like Mcafee
and stupid symantec) I don't think it was effective because people
thought it was spam (these were people who were infected -- I had a
script that based on IP and recipient and recent valid email
determined the true sender). Now I just say "update your antivirus
protection" and contact your network adminstrator/computer consultant.
So, promoting some other service may not work (although I used to
hope it would if they were generic URLs from lots of vendors).

Well anyways, I even went so far as to suggested to rfc-ignorant.org
that they develop a list for stupid 5xx ignorant servers althought
that is entirely to pragmatic and probably undoable. Recently though
I have found that Exim (actually 90% cPanel configured, 10% other)
haven't as much of a problem so that is really good. Part because the
viruses involved have diminished and then I hope Exim/cPanel people
have gotten a heads up.