Re: [exim] Spam using a space to separate message body and h…

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spam using a space to separate message body and header...
Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> This is the first time I noticed the exim-users list bringing
> me a mail which our spamassassin rated as probable spam!
>
> It was well on its way to being rejected outright!!
>
> I guess we need to whitelist the MTA from which the exim-users
> mail emanates.

It's happened to me in the past with people re-posting virus warnings,
because Tim Jackson's bogus-virus-warnings.cf has such high scores.
With a normal spam being resent on this list, usually the bayes hits on
the mailing list identifiers, AWL, and other rules are enough to
counteract the spam itself. But Tim's rules score almost every hit as a
20, which makes false positives on an MTA mailing list quite painful.

I seem to recall about a year ago I even got one of those false
positives on this list mailed by Tim himself, which was good for a laugh.

Tim, you read this list, right? Any chance you could reduce those
scores to something like 8? Or at least set up the file so that there's
a single (or small number) of meta-rules with scores that are easily
overridden in local.cf instead of having each pattern a seperate score?

- Marc