Re: [exim] Spam using a space to separate message body and h…

Autor: Eric Bullen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Spam using a space to separate message body and header...
On 9/2/05, Eric Bullen <barnabus.pinklehorn@???> wrote:

> On 9/2/05, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Eric Bullen wrote:
> >
> > > It could be GMail that is removing that space- when i sent it out, I
> > *made
> > > sure* that the space was there. In this case, take my word for it, and
> > know
> > > that exim (like Heiko said) should check for invalid header lines to
> > catch
> > > things like this... Does anyone have any suggestions on how to 'fix'
> > this?
> > > Should Exim catch these errors?
> >
> > Exim reads header lines until either (a) it reaches an entirely empty
> > line (CRLF followed by CRLF) or (b) until it reaches a line that does
> > not take the form of a header line (that is, it doesn't start "name:")
> > or the continuation of a previous header line (a line starting with
> > white space). If Exim finds the sequence
> >
> > something:_xxxxxxxx
> > _
> > other_stuff
> >
> > where I have used an underscore to represent spaces, it will treat the
> > second line as a continuation of the first header line. However, the
> > third line can't be a header line, so it will be taken as the first line
> >
> > of the body.
> >
> > This is the same rule that other MTAs follow, I believe. (It is what
> > Smail used to do when we were running it in the days before I wrote
> > Exim.)
>

> I suspected the same thing. I will wait for another email to come in, and
> show the before->after email to show how Exim is handling it. Looking at the
> whole email, every line in the message body began with a space, so it
> *looked* like a continuance of the previous line (seemed that Exim ignored
> the empty line- as it had a space in it). I'll provide more details when
> another one arrives.

Attached is a email I just received that shows the problem I was speaking
of. At the end of the email- Exim added a "X-FromHost:" header line to the
message. I am running Exim 4.52.

The MD5 of the attachment is: b4fe082a6ba2d756a1205662bcda2a86

Thanks for everyone's help in this.

-Eric