Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable o…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Adam Funk
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [exim] (OT) Responsibility of ISPs to provide reliable outgoing SMTP to dynamic IP customers.
On Friday 02 September 2005 12:31, Marc Sherman wrote:

> Clearly, your ISP sucks, and you should either switch to a better
> one,

To be fair, the connectivity (at least in my neighbourhood) is good,
(three faults in five years, two of which were only two hours long),
and the mail system works most of the time. Also, one company has a
monopoly on cable so any other choice would be BT ADSL.

There are two problems: when the SMTP system isn't working, it may have
erratic backlogs of up to several hours for a few days, and it doesn't
send "sitting on the queue" warning messages early or reliably, so it's
difficult to know that mail is not getting through.

> or do what I did and shell out the extra cash for a static IP so
> that you can run your own reliable mail server. (In fact, I did
> both.)

Out of curiosity, what supplier and package do you have?

> > I believe this violates the (UK) Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and
> > am planning to make a formal complaint to Ofcom about it, so I'd
> > appreciate any arguments [1], comments and references to support
> > this case.
>
> There's a third option, if you have the stomach for it. I'm
> interested to see how it works out for you.

I believe that if this works it will be beneficial to all residential
internet users.

-- Adam