Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Tony Finch wrote:
> > If you want people to send replies to the list, use the Reply-To: header.
>
>     It's called common sense.  We're both on the list. It's clear we're on the
> list.  There's no need to duplicate traffic as well as annoy the other people.

Steve,

Please take it easy. The issue of whether to CC or not to CC is in fact
a controversial one. There have been several flame wars on the RFC 822
list. Please do not let another one start here. You may not believe
it, but there *are* people in the world who *do* want personal CCs of
replies to their list postings. (One prominent poster on the 822 list
files them separately, and he wants to get both copies. He mutters when
people do not cc him.)

This is an area where one tends to get damned whatever you do. There was
a recent long discussion about Reply-To: and proposed new headers such
as Mail-Followup-To: that might do a better job. The trouble is that
there are many scenarios (e.g. one message posted to multiple lists and
also cc'd to several people) where the new proposals just don't work
well enough in enough common cases.

All we have at the moment is Reply-To. The best advice is for people who
do not want cc's to set it to the list. Most of the time that is likely
to achieve what they want. But sometimes, depending on the particular
clients, the "reply" buttons/keys they provide, and their exact
interpretation of "Reply-to", it doesn't. You just have to live with
that.

I refer you to the archives of ietf-822@??? if you want to see past
discussions. The most recent was only a few months ago.

> But, as you wish, reply-to set.

That was childish (setting it to dot@???, Tony's address). Please
try to keep this (very busy) list at a reasonable level of behaviour.

Philip