Re: [exim] Strange behaviour in batsched SMTP submission mod…

Author: Matthias Waffenschmidt
To: exim-users
CC: Matthias Waffenschmidt
Subject: Re: [exim] Strange behaviour in batsched SMTP submission mode
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 02:33:30PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Matthias Waffenschmidt wrote:
>
> > we are currently resubmitting mails into Exim that are scanned by
> > SpamAssassin via batched SMTP. The usual setup if you don't scan at
> > SMTP time.
> >
> > I now encountered a strange behaviour that I consider a bug:
> >
> > If the message does not contain a From: header, Exim adds one as the
> > message is per definition locally generated. But the From: header
> > holds the original envelope sender and the name of the user (from
> > /etc/passwd) that reinjected the mail.
>
> Reinject the mail from a trusted user, and use -F "" to specify an empty
> name.

Thank you very much for the hint, this is the option I was looking
for (and obviously I failed to find it, hmmm...).

Another related issue is the following:

If the original message lacks certain headers like From: or Date: it
would be fine, if there is a control, whether Exim should handle the
reinjected mail as a locally generated one or more accuately to
disable submission mode.

It is very nice (using the -F option), that there now is no misleading
name in the From: header, but if the original sender did not enter a
From: line, while should I add one? The very same is true for the
Date: header and even worse: SpamAssassin adds points and claims the
test MISSING_DATE has matched, if there is no such header, but Exim
adds the header during reinjection. This may cause some confusion...

A 'control = no_submission' as a new ACL option would probably also do
the trick.

Again: this is really not critical, as it can be done by using
existing features, but it would nevertheless be a nice thing to have.

--
Gruss / Best regards   |  LF.net GmbH        |  fon +49 711 90074-411
Matthias Waffenschmidt |  Ruppmannstr. 27    |  fax +49 711 90074-33