RE: [exim] smtp_auth ? 535 Incorrect authentication data BUT…

Author: Herb Martin
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] smtp_auth ? 535 Incorrect authentication data BUTstill send emails ?
> [mailto:exim-users-bounces@exim.org] On Behalf Of John W. Baxter

> > emails still sended ... i think i need something into ACL_SMTP_???
> > but that ? knows anybody ?
>
> Microsoft likes to try one or more bogus authentications
> before trying the one the user told them to try per the
> configuration. You may be seeing that (check the log for
> what the same IP does shortly after the failure).
>
> --John

I posted over the weekend about problems with Outlook
failing SPA-NTLM once, each time it sends email, and
then (apparently) succeeding SPA-NTLM authentication
anyway.

Apparently, Outlook is NOT sending the configured/specified
username and password on the first try (but since SPA-NTLM
is encrypted I don't know quite how to prove that.)

Do you have any other evidence or pointers to Outlook or
Outlook Express trying the "wrong" authentication before
it does the correct method/user/password combination?

--
Herb Martin