Re: [exim] How do I authenicate with my ISP?

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] How do I authenicate with my ISP?
On 8/28/05 9:29 AM, "Jim Lynch" <jimlynch1@???> wrote:

> On 8/28/05, John W. Baxter <jwblist@???> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/28/05 8:54 AM, "Jim Lynch" <jimlynch1@???> wrote:
>>

>> Speaking of Exim 4.5x, section 33.5 of the spec describes setting up
>> authentication where Exim is the client. It *might* be a different section
>> in number.
>>
>> Please specify your Exim version when asking questions...it simplifies
>> answering if we know what you have.

Sorry...having found the general section (33) in the spec, I didn't go on to
sections 34, 35, and 37 of the spec, which do show the setup.

Sample authenticator for PLAIN mechanism (where ^ becomes an ASCII NUL as
defined for the protocol):

fixed_plain:
driver = plaintext
public_name = PLAIN
client_send = ^ph10^secret

LOGIN is similar (but of course different)
fixed_login:
driver plaintext
public_name = LOGIN
client_send = : ph10 : secret

(client_send there is an Exim list of <empty>, name, password)

fixed_cram:
driver = cram_md5
public_name = CRAM-MD5
client_name = ph10
client_secret = secret

client_send, client_name, and client_secret are expanded, should you need to
vary them.

Interestingly, the book doesn't seem to disclose how SPA is configured.
Odd, in that it was as a client that SPA was first implemented.

Above samples lifted from "the Exim book" ("The Exim SMTP Mail Server"
"Official Guide for Release 4" ISBN 0-9544529-0-9