[exim] User Control of Blacklists, Whitelists, Blocklists, …

Autor: Marc Perkel
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] User Control of Blacklists, Whitelists, Blocklists, features, etc.
OK - I have an idea of a way to give users control of their own
configuration through email messages. This could probably be coded up in
perl really easilly. But I think I'll through the idea out there for
comment first.

You set up a special email account called setting@???. This will
be the interface for reading and changing settings.

If you email that account it reads your from address and gets your
settings and emails it back to you. It also contains some sort of code
so that if you reply to the message it knows that it is really you and
it makes changes.

The message contains all your setting - for now it is just the personal
white list and black list. Message looks like this:

From: settings@???
To: user@???

Dear user - here are your current settings. Instructions ... blah blah blah

verification code 45BC673C <- do not remove this

whitelist *@spamassassin.org
whitelist *@exim.org

blacklist *@porn.com
blacklist hacker@???
blacklist *@*.co.kr

block-8-bit-headers yes

So - to change your setting you reply to the email - adding editing and
deleting lines. When the message is received because it has the
verification code it then picks out the information and updates the
users config files.

The users config files are flat text files stored in say
/etc/exim/settings. In that directory are files called:

user@???
user@???

Then you write an ACL to access these files and process the messages
accordingly.

Information that contains yes/no might be done by creating and deleting
0 byte flag files or using a lookup.

And - this doesn't have to be limited to just whitelists and blacklists.
It can be any kind of setting including forward files, Turning features
on and off - vacation messages .....

The idea again is you send a message to settings - get a response with
your settings - edit and reply - and the setting are changed.

Who likes this idea?

If I design it and write the ACLs - is there a perl programmer out there
who will volunteer to write the perl responder? I will keep it simple.