Re: [exim] Fwd: synchronization error

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Fwd: synchronization error
Jeremiah Foster wrote:

>> I am having problems with an Outlook Express client connecting to
>> exim4. The logs are saying;
>>
>> 2005-08-26 13:56:16 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
>> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
>> H=[213.142.17.163] input="\026\003\001"
>>
>> (When I got this message previously I switched Outlook Express to
>> Thunderbird and the issue went away. I assume that is because both
>> Thunderbird and exim implement the protocol more effectively than
>> Outlook Express. If I assume incorrectly I would welcome correction.)

The problem could be outlook's broken TLS implementation. Outlook is
probably trying to do TLS-on-connect on port 25. Configure Outlook for
SSL on port 465, and add the following to your exim config:

daemon_smtp_ports = 25 : 465
tls_on_connect_ports = 465

You may also want to add 587 to the port list, which is the standard
submission port -- note that it should _not_ be in the
tls_on_connect_ports list, only 465 belongs there.

- Marc