[exim] Cleaning up /var/spool/exim4/scan

Author: Johann Spies
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Cleaning up /var/spool/exim4/scan
Last night one of my three mail servers ran on a very high load
average (> 50) and the cause: Many uvscan processes not dying as they
should.

On further investigation I saw that there are 31748 subdirectories in
there (/var/spool/exim4/scan) - 27619 of them older than one day. On
one of the other there were 1219 subdirectories with 1210 older than
one day. If I understand it correctly there should not be files older
than a few minutes in this directories.

I am not sure why the uvscan processes did not end properly. The other
two mailservers (all part of mail.sun.ac.za) did not have similar
problems.

Which is the safest way to clean up those directories?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved,
      what manner of persons ought ye to be? You ought to
      live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the
      day of God and speed its coming."
                                II Peter 3:11,12