Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Anti Phishing Trick
Marilyn Davis wrote:

> Could you trace it to any entity at all?
>
> Could you tell if it was advertising spam?

All the joe jobs I've ever been hit by were virus outbreaks -- the virus
bots are replicating themselves indiscriminately around the internet,
sending mail with fake From: addresses, which sometime claim to be my
own (or those of other users on my server).

The most recent case was the neo-nazi virus outbreak earlier this year
(sober.q, I think it was called) -- I got a lot of bounces of those
messages apparently purportedly being sent "From:" my address. From
what I read on the net, that virus was primarily faking the addresses of
"prominent open source coders and advocates", so I felt pretty good
about that (after I got over the initial horror of reading some of the
messages I'd supposedly sent). I wouldn't be surprised if, in that
instance, my address had been harvested from this very list.

I doubt those sender addresses were chosen as an attack on the owners;
rather, they were probably chosen to take advantage of any positive AWL
scores attached to those addresses.

- Marc