Re: [exim] exim altering message body?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim altering message body?
On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:26 +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>
> > Sorry to ask but I have a problem where a properly encoded message
> > sent through exim appears then with completely mangled characters (in
> > iso-8859-2 encoding). The message is taken from mysql database and
> > then sent to exim for relaying to the end user. The application that
> > I used to test exim forwards thousands of such messages to another
> > mail server on a daily basis and never such a problem. Is it possible
> > that exim mangles message body? I thought mail servers don't do that.
>
> Exim does not touch message bodies, except for the conversion of line
> endings. It does not even take any special action for 8-bit characters.

However, it does not by default advertise itself as 8 bit clean (because
it does not have the facilities to convert a message to 7 bit if the
next hop is unable to cope with 8 bit mail). This can cause the
injecting system to do a 7 bit conversion if mail is being injected by
SMTP.

See the accept_8bitmime option for a discussion of this.
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/spec_14.html#IX1046

    Nigel.