著者: Sean Murray
To: exim-users
題目: [exim] 500 response to EHLO
Hi

I have and odd error from 2 mail servers (that i know of)
mail.waterfront.co.za - XMAIL
mail.colorsfruit.com - exchange server.

Telnet transcript is attached at the bottom

Both these servers respond with
500 Command line too long
and then closes the connection.
with a perfectly valid : EHLO silence.tlabs.ac.za

These servers only accept 1 character after EHLO
if i do a plain EHLO (no domain name after) on a telnet session i get the
correct response of 502 and can then happily continue with a HELO silence.tlabs.ac.za

 From my reading of the rfc's this is a clear violation ? Is that correct ?
RFC2821 states :
4.1.1.1  Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)
"blah blah
The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
    of the SMTP client if one is available.
blah blah"

How does one get exim to not put the doman name after the EHLO ? Is this
even possible if my assumption about rfc violation is correct ?
Or do i just do an ostrich and put my head in the sand ;-)

Thanks
Sean

Telnet transcript

[lbazinski@silence lbazinski]$ telnet mail.waterfront.co.za 25
Trying 196.41.17.237...
Connected to mail.waterfront.co.za (196.41.17.237).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XMAIL
EHLO silence.tlabs.ac.za
500 Command line too long
Connection closed by foreign host.

response should be 502 as in :

[lbazinski@silence lbazinski]$ telnet mail.waterfront.co.za 25
Trying 196.41.17.237...
Connected to mail.waterfront.co.za (196.41.17.237).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XMAIL
EHLO
502
HELO silence.tlabs.ac.za
250 waterfront.co.za
quit
221 XMAIL
Connection closed by foreign host.

or in :

[lbazinski@silence lbazinski]$ telnet mail.waterfront.co.za 25
Trying 196.41.17.237...
Connected to mail.waterfront.co.za (196.41.17.237).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XMAIL
EHLO p
502