[exim] Re: "authenticator yielded 13" and SMTP AUTH help

Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: "authenticator yielded 13" and SMTP AUTH help
Anthony Lau <anthony@???> wrote:
[exim acting as SMTP AUTH client]
> kimagure:/etc/exim4# exim4 -v -d+auth xxxxx@???

[...]
>         250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XYMCOOKIE

[...]
> 68.142.198.11 in hosts_try_auth? yes (matched "smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com")
> scanning authentication mechanisms
> plain authenticator yielded 13
> login authenticator yielded 13

[...]
> I tried googling and searching exim mail list archives for
> "authenticator yielded 13" as I'm guessing it is an error
> message. However, I do not know what it stands for.

If you try with "-d" instead of "-d+auth" you should be able to see
the cause. I think exim is failing to lookup the remote hostname in
/etc/exim4/passwd.client.

> I have a /etc/passwd.client file that required for authentication.

"/etc/passwd.client"? The correct file is /etc/exim4/passwd.client.

> I have tried to follow the instructions, but there seems to be
> some conflict with the exact syntax. Within exim4.conf it says the
> password should be "crypted".

Please show a quote. Any reference to "crypted" passwords should refer
to exim acting as SMTP AUTH server not as client.

> In the Debian readme on authentication
> that came in the package, it just says "password". The RFC says
> the actual data being passed is MIME/base64. Currently, I have my
> password as plain text.

[...]

Correct.

          cu andreas