Re: [exim] exim4 STMP auth

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim4 STMP auth
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:44:43 -0700, "Jay Bird" <jaybird@???>
wrote:
>I've tried all of them. Which one do you recommend?

Maybe you have the obvious problem which will turn up if you do not
change the authenticators and do not set up TLS. Quoting from the
documentation in the authenticators part of the exim configuration in
the Debian package:

|# Authenticators which rely on unencrypted clear text passwords don't
|# advertise on unencrypted connections by default. You can set
|# AUTH_SERVER_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to advertise unencrypted clear text
|# password based authenticators on all connections.

Setting up TLS is of course the preferred way and is much better than
allowing unencrypted plain text authentication.

Greetings
Marc