[exim] Exim 4 and saslauthd

Author: Cole Tuininga
To: Exim Users List
Subject: [exim] Exim 4 and saslauthd

Hi all -

I'm *finally* making the plunge from exim 3.x to 4.5x. I know - about
darned time. 8)

In any case, here's the situation. I'm on a Debian Sarge box and trying
to set up client SMTP auth using saslauthd on the back end. The problem
I'm running into is this - the saslauthd socket is in a directory that
is only accessible to members of the "sasl" group. The directory looks
like this:

/var/run# ls -ld saslauthd
drwx--x--- 2 root sasl 4096 Aug 17 16:31 saslauthd

Now, the exim packages that come with debian have exim running as the
user "Debian-exim". I've added that user to the sasl group, but that
doesn't seem to be sufficient. When I try to authenticate, I get the
following in the logs:

435 Unable to authenticate at present: cannot connect to saslauthd
daemon at /var/run/saslauthd/mux: Permission denied

(the "mux" file, incidentally has permissions set for 777).

What am I doing wrong here? Is there something I can do to specify the
group to operate as during authentication? When I look at /proc, the
exim process is running as group "Debian-exim".

I would have thought that adding the Debian-exim user to the sasl group
(and then restarting both daemons) would have done the trick, but no
luck.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

--
"Pay attention son! You've got the attention span of an art major in a
computer cluster!" - Sam Stoddard

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc