Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mike Meredith
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:57:06 -0400, Chris Meadors wrote:
> I actually prefer the Linux kernel's software RAID over controllers
> these days. The data is stored in a non-proprietary on disk format, so
> one isn't as the mercy of the controller if something goes horribly
> wrong. I've even found the performance to be better than the cheaper
> hardware SCSI RAID cards on the market.

Even if the on disk format is documented, I'd still rather recover from
backups. Mind you there's other reasons for not liking "intelligent"
controllers (recalling a certain RAID controller on which you were supposed
to run a parity check once a week, which involved shutting down a large
Alphaserver and booting off a boot floppy with the RAID controller software
on).

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security