Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Autor: Mike Meredith
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:56:11 -0400, Chris Meadors wrote:
> RAID 1 is faster if you don't have the CPU. But with a hardware RAID
> card, or basically any CPU made in the last five years, you should have
> enough power to perform the xor calculations needed to distribute the

It's one of things you should benchmark for the situation you're in.
I've benchmarked RAID1+0 (or 0+1) and RAID 5 on a Sun StorEdge 3510 to find
that RAID5 writes are 30% slower which is pretty consistent with what I see
in other private (and older) benchmarks. Mind you I don't use Linux-based
storage management.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security