Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Chris Meadors
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 08:46 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Yes - that's true. But I'm thinking in terms of how much power you get
> at the lowest price. If money isn't a problem then hardware raid scsi is
> the way to go.
> I'm just not that rich myself. So the less expensive alternative would
> be something like raid 1 and a couple of 250 gig SATA drives. But you
> may be right in that Raid 5 controllers aren't that expensive.

I actually prefer the Linux kernel's software RAID over controllers
these days. The data is stored in a non-proprietary on disk format, so
one isn't as the mercy of the controller if something goes horribly
wrong. I've even found the performance to be better than the cheaper
hardware SCSI RAID cards on the market.

If you are looking for performance on the cheap, four 80 GB SATA drives
running under Linux's RAID 5 driver should really impress.

--
Chris