Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Simon Chappell
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Graeme Fowler, exim-users
Kopio:
Aihe: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Graeme Fowler wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue 16 Aug 2005 14:27:35 BST , Simon Chappell
> <s.chappell@???> wrote:
>
>> we have 6 hard disks there is over 60gig of mail which they keep on
>> server for ever.
>> Raid5 is handled by the scsi raid card it had 3x18 and now has an
>> extra 3x36gig.
>> Most of the time it is courier at the top of "Top" and qmail then
>> ldap(used as an address book) leaping to the top every so often.
>> There is also mailman gobbling a few of the lesser resources.
>

> As mentioned by Nigel earlier, mounting your oft-changed filesystems
> with the noatime option is a good bet:
>
> mount -o remount,defaults,noatime /var
>
> ...or /var/spool, or /var/spool/mail, or whatever the mount point(s)
> your Qmail spools/queues and your courier mailboxes live under.
>
> When I first found that one out it was a real "Eureka!" moment. It
> should, ideally, give you a bunch more performance from your "tired"
> systems.
>
> Graeme

WOW!!!
Eureka is the word.
I remounted as you suggested and teh load average has plummeted.
Would the chattr command also be worth investigating or is that nulled
by noatime ?
I checked all my Gentoo boxes and I have all these mounted already with
noatime which is suggested in the gentoo handbook, but the redhat
systems are not, one for me to remember.

Simon