Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess

Autor: Jeremy Harris
A: exim-users @ exim. org
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Help with problem with bad bcc addess
Cliff Pratt wrote:
> Debian package exim4 version 4.50-8.
>
> One server (Server A) uses another server (Server B) as a smarthost,
> which sends the mail onto an Exchange server Server C. Another Server
> D sends email directly over the Internet. The application is a Java
> application running on Linux and runs on yet another server..
>
> When there is an invalid address in the bcc field of the email (as
> well as some valid addresses) then the two systems, Server A and
> Server D act differently. By 'invalid address' I mean one of the form
> someone@???, where domain.com does not exist.
>
> Server A gets a message that Server B cannot relay for the invalid
> address, and NONE of the addresses in the message receive an email.

That can happen, and could be due to the behaviour of either A (not
liking individual recipients being rejected, and abandoning the message)
or B (ditto, but with less justification). You didn't explicitly
say that A->B is SMTP, but I'm assuming it - some other protocols
don't provide for individual recipient rejections, and the result will
be as you describe.

> Server D gets a message that the invalid address is Unrouteable *but*
> delivers the message to all the other, valid, addresses.

That's more useful, and what I'd regard as a preferred implementation.

- Jeremy