Re: OT: Re: [exim] Looking for solutions - not to debate why…

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: 'Exim-users'
Assumptes nous: [exim] Re: OT: Re: Looking for solutions - not to debate - LATE RESPONSE
Assumpte: Re: OT: Re: [exim] Looking for solutions - not to debate why I want the solution

--On 5 August 2005 14:57:24 +0200 Jakob Hirsch <jh@???> wrote:

> Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>> Really, so if my wife gives me emotional support when I get sacked, she
>> should expect payment? When a building is supported by its foundations,
>> some kind of financial transaction between the two is to be expected?
>
> This discussion is becoming pedantic and became off-topic long ago,
> anyway.
>
> Nevertheless: Support in general is not necessarily something you have
> to pay for. But the things people say or write also has to be seen in
> context. This is not a self-help group to give people emotional support,
> and the only things we build here are mail systems.
>
> Technical support is almost always something that implies a
> vendor-client relationship and therefore flow of (real or virtual) money
> is involved.

Well, you see I think you're wrong. Of course, you're right if you define
technical support as something that you pay for. However, if you define it
as "help with a technical process", then there are lots of ways that people
give and receive that for free. This list included.

> Somebody talking about a "support process" clearly refers
> to such a relationship.

But the reference to this as a support list clearly did NOT suggest that
there was payment involved. Or do you think that someone has been conned
into paying for membership of this list. I don't think so.

> People help here each other out of fun,
> interest, personal satisfaction or whatever, but surely not for getting
> money. That's why people are sensitive about the bad s-word.

I think they're sensitive about it because they forget that 'support' means
more than one thing.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team