Re: [exim] Adding IMAP SMTP Authentication to the Wiki

Autor: Lanny Jason Godsey
A: V. T. Mueller, Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Adding IMAP SMTP Authentication to the Wiki
--- "V. T. Mueller" <exim@???> wrote:

> Marc,

> > Thanks - I think it's going to be a popular feature. It eliminates
> the
> > need for Exim to know what the IMAP backend is. I could totally
> change
> > IMAP server and change nothing in Exim to authenticate.
>
> Hm, I don't know. Actually we are scratching our heads from time to
> time for how we can optimize our SQL-calls and overall architecture
> even further. I can't imagine the hardware that would allow us
> authentication via embedded perl.

What sort of load do you have? Our radius server is written in perl
and processes around 70 auths / second and just over 100 accounting
requests / second. Radius lives on 2 machines currently, both cheap
dell 400SC machines w/ 1gig ram.

I use embedded perl for nearly everything in Exim, the ACLs (for the
most part, I've replaced Exim's hints anywhere I can) since I wanted
distributed control over message rejection.

Our MySQL backends have no problem satisfying 2k queries / second.

This is why I'm a little suprised when people say Perl (espically
embedded perl) isn't up to the task.