Re: [exim-dev] crypt(), crypt16() and bigcrypt()

Author: Tamas TEVESZ
To: V. T. Mueller
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] crypt(), crypt16() and bigcrypt()
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, V. T. Mueller wrote:

> in the 4.52 src/editme file. We haven't been authenticating locally
> for years, so this probably is in there for some time already.
> What I'd like to comment is the following. As an alternative to the
> standard crypt() HP-UX uses a proprietary function called bigcrypt()
> when running in "trusted mode", allowing passwords to contain a
> maximum of 40 characters.

that is strange. when i originally hacked crypt16 supportintor exim, i
did quite a bit of research, and my findings were that crypt16() and
bigcrypt() are synonymous to each other, having only been present in
the osf/1 bloodline.

granted, since then hp has kil^Wtaken over dig^Wcompaq, and they were
supposed to merge the better bits of tru64 into hp/ux, but considering
they practically abandoned everything that made tru64 superb, its
quite unlikely they took bigcrypt, especially in those times when md5
has already been used widely. whatever.

yes, i'm interested in everything you can provide, though i'm not
actually promising anything. for starters, its probably enough if you
can find out for me when has this bigcrypt appeared in hp/ux, some
test data (some text in clear, and encrypted with bigcrypt), and its
man page would be nice.

--
[-]

mkdir /nonexistent