Re: [exim] non-ascii in the envelope

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] non-ascii in the envelope

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:41:48 +0100 (BST) Philip Hazel <ph10@???>
wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > This illustrates an example of the old maxim of being liberal in what you
> > accept and strict in what you send. It is a maxim that I am now very much
> > opposed to.
>
> Me too. Nevertheless, I have implemented code that follows the maxim,
> because if you don't, too many things break.
>
> > Have you done any tests to see if rejecting spaces between : and < will block
> > many non-spam mail software and have you any idea when your patch may be
> > available?
>
> Even if such a rejection helps, it won't help for long; the spammers
> will react.

Indeed, but I was more concerned about rejecting messages from non-compliant,
but honest mail servers, which is not what I want. If there are a lot of mail
servers which put in a space I would not be able to use Tony's patch to address
my problem.

I am not wanting to block non-ascii addresses in order to cut down on spam
particularly. I am delivering to the Cyrus package and that rejects non-ascii,
so I want to be more consistent and reject up front what I know will be
rejected later.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter