Re: [exim] Exim doesn't seem to be following my retry rules …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Eli
CC: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim doesn't seem to be following my retry rules properly?
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Eli wrote:

> Here's the global settings (pertaining to retries), the router, the
> transport, and the retry rules (all of them just in case):

> 66.165.106.102                  *       F,3h,5m; F,12h,15m; F,1d,1h; F,2d,3h
> 66.165.106.103                  *       F,3h,5m; F,12h,15m; F,1d,1h; F,2d,3h
> 66.165.106.126                  *       F,3h,5m; F,12h,15m; F,1d,1h; F,2d,3h

From spec.txt:

For a temporary error that is not related to an individual address, (for
example, a connection timeout), each line in the retry configuration is
checked twice. First, the name of the remote host is used as a domain name
(preceded by '*@' when matching a regular expression). If this does not match
the line, the domain from the email address is tried in a similar fashion.

Note that nowhere does it mention an IP address. In other words, your
rules will never trigger.