Re: [exim] ldaps: different behaviour daemon vs -bt

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] ldaps: different behaviour daemon vs -bt
Tony Finch <dot@???> (Mi 27 Jul 2005 22:05:48 CEST):
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> >
> >     ldap_default_servers = ldapmaster::636

> > If I use exim in address test mode `exim -bt heiko@???' it
> > works and proper LDAP queries are sent and processed.
> >
> > If exim runs as daemon and has to handle the same address it returns
> > a `temporary problem'. According to the log: ldap_bind() returned -1.
> >
> > After a while I found a good hint here: http://www.billy.demon.nl/Eximldap.html,
> > so I changed
> >     ldap_default_servers = ldapmaster.domain.example::636

> This is probably to do with your operating system's name service. Check
> /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/hosts, your DNS, etc.

Hm. And how does my operating systems name service differentiate
between called by a daemon (exim -bd -q10m) vs. called by some command
line (exim -bt ...) program?

It's definitivly *not* the resolution of the ldap servers name, since I
see traffic on port 636 in both cases.

The only difference I can see, is, that the daemon probably does the
lookup running as unprivileged user while my command line address test
doesn't change it's privileges. But I tested the command line (-bt)
running as `mail' and it still succeedes.

    Best regards from Dresden
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -