[exim] exim4 STMP auth

Autor: Jay Bird
A: Exim-users
CC:
Assumpte: [exim] exim4 STMP auth
I recently installed exim4 on my multi-user web server and it seems to be working in eall respects, including for virtual hosts, with one exception: I'm having a devil of a time getting SMTP auth to work. I've tried uncommenting various options contained in the auth section of /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template, all to no avail. I receive various error messages, usually 550 errors on my desktop client. One curious thing is nothing shows up on the exim logs indicating that anybody even tried to log in, let alone be refused.

I've telneted into port 25 to find out what kind of connections are being accepted, and get the following:

#:/etc/exim4# telnet [domain.name] 25
Trying [IP address]...
Connected to [domain.name].
Escape character is '^]'.
220 [domain.name] ESMTP Exim 4.50 Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:20:59 -0700
EHLO [client.name]
250-[domain.name] Hello [client.name] [IP address]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP

and that's it. No auth information at all.

The machine in question is debian woody. I was running sendamail, but I unistalled it and installed exim4 and courier. It uses pam authentication.

I'd really appreciate somebody familiar with smtp auth stepping me through this.