Re: [exim] Dovecot IMAP - Opinions?

Autor: Chris Wakelin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Dovecot IMAP - Opinions?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:49:39 -0400 (EDT) Dave Lugo <dlugo@???>
wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, OpenMacNews wrote:
> >
> > curious -- do you consider the dovecot community to be "large/stable enough"
> > ... i.e., NOT subject to single-developer-may-evaporate-at-any-moment syndrome?
> >

> Honestly, I don't know. However, the codebase is relatively small,
> open-sourced, and dovecot has been around for longer than 6 months,
> (an eternity in 'net time) so it's not too bad ;)
>
> I suppose a lot depends on your confort level. Larger sites that
> may have more resources for maintaining dovecot themselves are likely
> to be in the best shape in case.

There is primarily one developer, Timo, and a few of us who contribute
patches. Timo seems to be going through bursts of Dovecot activity
recently, which means you may not hear from him for a week, then
suddenly all Dovecot queries get answered on the list and a new
1.0-testXX version comes out! He's also heavily involved with another
project (irssi2), I think. I don't think he's likely to disappear,
though, as he's been actively developing Dovecot for years, and has
mentioned integrating irssi2 with it.

From my own point of view, I find it fairly easy to add minor features
and fix small issues with IMAP, but I get lost when trying to
understand the caching/indexing code (which is what makes Dovecot
perform so well!).

We've decided to switch to Dovecot-1.0-stable this summer as we can make
the change from UW-IMAP completely transparent to the user (and switch
back as easily!). On the other hand, Cyrus is probably a more
fully-featured and stable/supported product if you can manage the
migration (Cambridge Uni did this recently, there's an excellent paper
on it at
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/
)

Best Wishes,
Chris

Christopher Wakelin,                                c.d.wakelin@???
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,       Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK                   Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094