Re: [exim] Dovecot IMAP - Opinions?

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Dovecot IMAP - Opinions?

On 16 Jul 2005, at 18:23, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I've decided to (at least attempting to) convert from a patched
> version of WU-IMAP to Dovecot. The reason I'm choosing Dovecot is
> because it's easiest to convert what I have already to it. I may
> eventually convert to Courier but Courier is poorly documented and
> it's just too big of a step to go from what I have all the way to
> courier.

Courier is nonetheless easy to install and set up.

> Dovecot supports MBOX and Maildir so I can (hopefully) make the
> transition sticking with MBOX, then switch over to Maildir later.
> Once I get that far then I might look at other IMAP servers that
> are even better. I like it that Dovecot doesn't seem to be
> religious about the MBOX vs. Maildir war and I wish Courier
> supported MBOX if for no other reason than making the transision
> easier. In my case I'm stuck with MBOX until I rewrite several
> other utilities that I currently rely upon.

why? Turning mailboxes (including personal mailboxes) into Maildir
format is not such a pain (the pain depends on the number of users
though).
If you want Maildir in the users' home dirs and start from /var/mail/
username + ~username/Mail/ location for the mailboxes (typical of
Pine and UW-Imap) you can use a simple script:

users home directories (and only them) in /Users

#!/bin/sh

cd /Users
users=`ls`
for i in ${users}; do
         cd $i
# I presume there is not a Maildir already:        mv  Maildir
MaildirOld
         sudo -H -u $i sh -c "/var/tmp/mb2md-3.20.pl -s /var/mail/$i"
         sudo -H -u $i sh -c "/var/tmp/mb2md-3.20.pl -R -s ./Mail"
         cd ..

done

No guarantees though!

The perl script in /var/tmp is available on the internet, but if I
can send you a copy as its syntax might have changed.

> So - my question. Is there anything scary or weird about Dovecot
> that I should know about or any good resource pages that I should
> know about?

Once, but it was a while ago, I had a sort of recursive problem with
Dovecot and Eudora (not the best IMAP implementation I know). Some
operation (I think just moving an IMAP folder) resulted in an
explosive duplication of messages.

Giuliano