Re: [exim] Per-User SpamAssassin config

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] Per-User SpamAssassin config
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Oliver Egginger wrote:

> > Later, we'd expect a bona fide MTA to offer
> > the remaining recipients in a separate transaction, and we'd accept
> > those against *their* preferences profile.
>
> This will drop away mail from one shot setups.

That's part of what I meant by "bona fide MTA". Lots of spammers
don't come back for a retry either - and I see *that* as an
advantage...

But sure, I presented a technical option, which you can use or not as
you choose. I can't - and have no wish to - try to tell you what your
policy should be, I can only say that, so far (and we've had this in
effect for quite some time now), it has worked for us, and the users
have not reported any problems which could be traced back to this
procedure.

> Not any MTA will do a second transaction.

I'd say that such an MTA isn't participating properly in email, and
the consequences are their own responsibility.

> Also mail from t-online and other huge mail providers will be
> deferred for hours.

Multi recipient mails offered from such providers, in my experience:
if they're not spam, they're typically routine mailing lists which the
users have signed up for. Anyway, prompt delivery isn't by any means
guaranteed by SMTP! A few hours seems to me to be no big deal for
that kind of material. I can think of plenty of other reasons for
mail getting deferred (e.g a temporary DNS SERVFAIL) for longer.

best regards