Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client

Author: Florian Weimer
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client
* Marc Haber:

>>Use a VPN.
>
> I am not talking about my own exim. On the trade fair I am talking
> about, a lot of booths were using Debian for their booth mail server,
> and a lot of people in these booths knew that I am the maintainer for
> the Debian exim 4 packages. Thus, being on that fair was like running
> the gauntlet because every other guy asked me "how can I do ssmtp with
> exim".

I'm sorry to hear this. Certainly it's not an experience I wish to share.q

>> I'm sure they don't block it. Make sure that they won't
>>block 587/TCP in the next year.
>
> I'd rather have the possibility to _first_ make mail work and _second_
> to educate the network people.

Well, you can't fix all networking problems within Exim. For example,
you could also argue that Exim should provide a means to set the
TCP_MAXSEG socket option, to work around PMTUD problems.
Unfortunately, all such changes for obscure situations come at a cost,
and in the end, *all* Exim users bear the associated maintenance cost,
not just those who use this feature.