Re: [exim] RFC3461

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: pimplebutt
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] RFC3461
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, pimplebutt wrote:

> On 7/4/05, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, pimplebutt wrote:
> > > Does Exim implement support for RFC3461?
> > It does not.
>
> That's unfortunate. :-\ Would like to wishlist this if no-one has
> wishlisted it already.

It's been on the Wish List (as a reference to RFC 1891) for seven years.
Nobody has had enough enthusiasm to tackle it. I myself have never been
at all keen.

I haven't read 3461, so things may be different, but this is what is in
the Wish List:

(11) 17-Jul-98 G support for DSN

It is unclear to me how this should work in the presence of aliases and
forwarding. Local deliveries would have to explicitly configured as deliveries
or relaying or whatever. A substantial amount of code is probably needed.

An Exim user commented:
I have nothing to add except to say that for many of the reasons you've
stated, I don't think that DSN is coherent enough to be worth the effort
to implement.

Another comment:

I thought the RFC was pretty clear on this. In a nutshell, if the
delivery rewrites the envelope from address, it's considered a
terminal delivery (i.e. delivery to a mailing list exploder), otherwise
treat it as a forwarding operation (the /etc/aliases case). I would
treat a .forward expansion as a final delivery event (it got to the
user as far as the MTA is concerned).

Yes, we need the DSN syntax. We also require the complete semantics of
NOTIFY=SUCCESS,FAILURE for our application to work.

Electronic Bill Presentment is really going to push the need for
DSN support in MTAs. We just don't want to get stuck in a situation
where we're faced with a non-DSN-aware MTA when we go to install
our bill/statement engine, thus our interest in what the MTA vendors
are planning to do about DSN.