Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Eximarerefus…

Autor: Steve Lamb
A: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Assumpte: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Eximarerefusingbounces...
Mark Smith wrote:
>>From: Greg A. Woods [mailto:woods@building.weird.com] On
>>Why do you want to read (or even have to delete) junk sent to
>>your postmaster mailbox!?!?!?

> Because someone you're blocking might want to write and ask you why you're
> blocking them, or to point out that you're blocking them in error?

    Mark, Mark, Mark...  Ya haven't figured out how to handle the GregTroll
yet?  Remember, he pops wood for RFCs cites.

-----

4.5.1 Minimum Implementation

In order to make SMTP workable, the following minimum implementation
is required for all receivers. The following commands MUST be
supported to conform to this specification:

      EHLO
      HELO
      MAIL
      RCPT
      DATA
      RSET
      NOOP
      QUIT
      VRFY

Any system that includes an SMTP server supporting mail relaying or
delivery MUST support the reserved mailbox "postmaster" as a case-
insensitive local name. This postmaster address is not strictly
necessary if the server always returns 554 on connection opening (as
described in section 3.1). The requirement to accept mail for
postmaster implies that RCPT commands which specify a mailbox for
postmaster at any of the domains for which the SMTP server provides
mail service, as well as the special case of "RCPT TO:<Postmaster>"
(with no domain specification), MUST be supported.

SMTP systems are expected to make every reasonable effort to accept
mail directed to Postmaster from any other system on the Internet.
In extreme cases --such as to contain a denial of service attack or
other breach of security-- an SMTP server may block mail directed to
Postmaster. However, such arrangements SHOULD be narrowly tailored
so as to avoid blocking messages which are not part of such attacks.

----

    I'm surprised he even had to ask that since he holds RFCs as his bible and
has memberized every chapter and verse.  Clearly he forgot that 4.5.1 requires
postmaster to exist, requires that mail to postmaster be delivered with the
only exception being cases of "extreme" security breaches.  Not casual.  Not
"because I feel like it".  But extreme cases.

    Remember, whenever the GregTroll selectively ignores the RFCs he uses for
gospel to call him on it.  It makes it far easier for newcomers to the list to
recognize the GregTroll for what he is, good chance to practice effective
filtering.