Re: [exim] Automatically dropping back to "smarthost" when r…

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Automatically dropping back to "smarthost" when relaying isrejected?
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:59:25 +0100
Adam Funk <adam00f@???> wrote:

> problematic:
>         driver = manualroute
>         headers_add = X-Warning: Your organization's mailrouter has
> been deliberately misconfigured\n\t\ to force my mail through my
> ISP's unreliable servers. Please ask\n\t\ your administrators to
> stop blacklisting innocent broadband users now!

Good luck; you'll need it. It sucks, but even though I am *highly*
reluctant about doing it, I finally had to start blocking dialups/ADSL.
*Far* too many zombie Windows users. Even with stringent SMTP-time
checks, still too many CPU cycles wasting scanning endless streams of
viruses, fraud and spam, and too many end users ultimately getting spam.

> The problem is that I have to add new domains to the "bastards.list"
> *after* my mails to them bounce. Is it possible to configure the
> dnslookup router so that if the host refuses to allow me to route my
> mail directly, Exim will pass it on to the so-called smarthost and
> send a warning to postmaster?

This has been requested before, but would be in serious breach of RFCs.
If a mail is permanently rejected, it's permanently rejected. This
means you shouldn't retry it automatically. So there isn't an easy way
to do this, although that's not to say you couldn't invent some
tortuous submission system that processed the rejection from Exim and
automatically resubmitted. However, I'd save yourself the hassle,
complication and uphill battle and just get an off- site SMTP smarthost
instead, if your ISP's mail servers are unreliable. And/or moan at your
ISP about not providing you with a decent smarthost.

Tim