[exim] Mail hub and verification of recipients.

Author: Gary Rule
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Mail hub and verification of recipients.
Hello all,

I am trying to configure Exim as a mail hub. The job of this hub will be
to pass all mail for our domain to another box running Exim behind the
firewall. One of the things I want the mail hub to do is make sure that
the recipient is valid.

I have read the FAQ and I also have a copy of "The Exim SMTP Mail Server
Official Guide for Release 4", both of which speak a little about doing
this. However when I try to implement it I get failures like the
following:

Connected to mx1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-mx1.domain.com
220 We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited
or bulk e-mail.
helo domain.com
250 mx1.domain.com Hello agramon.domain.com [128.x.x.x]
mail from:<user@???>
250 OK
rcpt to:<test@???>
550-Verification failed for <user@???>
550-Unrouteable address
550 Sender verify failed
quit
221 mx1.domain.com closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

My router looks like the following:

internalroute:
driver = manualroute
local_parts = lsearch;/etc/exim/aliases
route_data = ${lookup{$domain}partial-lsearch{/etc/exim/routes}}
hosts_randomize
transport = remote_smtp

I believe I may be misusing the local_parts option here. All I want to
do is check the local part given during RCPT command and make sure it
matches a local part we actually service (username or alias located in a
file or database). If I remove the local_parts line everything works
fine, without any recipient verification.

If someone could just point me in the correct direction it would be much
appreciated.

Gary Rule                                      2.6.10 GNU/Linux
Systems Administrator
BBN Technologies
Interdepartmental Services Group

email: grule@???
Phone: 617.873.3274
Fax: 617.873.4500
--
  Dying is a very dull, dreary affair.  My advice to you is to have
  nothing whatever to do with it.