Re: [exim-dev] Second candidate for 4.52 release -- make fai…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: OpenMacNews
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Second candidate for 4.52 release -- make failure on OSX 10.4.1
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, OpenMacNews wrote:

> so, i'm confused ... with BIND_8_COMPAT *defined*, why are we NOT seeing the
> HEADER struct def?

Good question. I'm afraid I can't offer any answer.

> trying some bruteforce tests ...
>
> EDITing dns.c
>          #include "exim.h"
>   +++    #include "/usr//include/arpa/nameser_compat.h"

Good idea.

> NOW, 'make' *continues* thru the 'missing' HEADER def, ad eventually fails w/:

>    cc dns.c
>    In file included from dns.c:13:
>    /usr/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h:141:1: warning: "T_A" redefined

Hmm. That means that /usr/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h defines it,
though previously we had a problem with that. Very odd. So why it's
defining the T_xxx stuff and not HEADER is a mystery. Are there any
conditional things around the HEADER definition?

>    cc -o exim
>    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
>    _GETSHORT
>    _res_9_dn_expand
>    _res_9_init
>    _res_9_search
>    _strnlen

Those are functions in the resolver library. Somehow it's missing those.
I guess you have to find where they live, and add the appropriate
-lsomething to EXTRALIBS. In some systems it's -lresolv I think.