Re: [exim] helo_data and callouts

Author: Paul Makepeace
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] helo_data and callouts
[on recipient/callout not using "driver=smtp"'s helo_data]

Je 2005-03-15 15:48:09 +0000, Philip Hazel skribis:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Michael F. Sprague wrote:
>
> > Due to circumstances not under my control, the relay sets
> > smtp_active_hostname to a different name than it's really called. I
> > hope this can go away soon, though. But when the relay communicates
> > to the final delivery server, I need to use its 'real' name during the
> > SMTP transaction. The router to send to the final delivery server
> > looks like this:
> >
> > internal_smtp:
> > driver = smtp
> > connect_timeout = 3m
> > helo_data = $primary_hostname
> > delay_after_cutoff = false
>
> > So I set helo_data to use its 'real' name in internal_smtp. This all works fine
> > when it's doing a normal delivery to the final delivery server.
> >
> > But, when it does a callout for recipient verification, it seems to ignore
> > helo_data.
>
> Indeed. Sorry. I never built that interface to pass back that data to
> the callout code. Probably because I was thinking mainly of sender
> callouts, when you presumbably do want to "be" the same host as is
> receiving the message. Even more probably, it just got overlooked.
>
> There is a large WishList item to merge the smtp transport code and the
> callout code so that they don't suffer from these kinds of problem.
> However, it does not look as if it is likely to be done at all soon.
> I will add another WishList item that mentions this particular issue.

FWIW, I have just been bitten by this too.

Given how increasingly common HELO syntax spam countermeasures are, and
how useful recipient/callout is, this seems to be edging decidedly
toward 'bug' rather than 'wish', IMO.

Is there a workaround? Where does exim get its HELO name from in the
case of callouts? /etc/hostname? Can that be a FQDN? I would rather not
turn recipient/callout off on 2nd+ MXs...

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace .............................. http://paulm.com/inchoate/

"What is the worst thing? That once you arrive, all will pass mustard."
-- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/