Re: [exim] exiscan, spamassassin, and per-domain bayes datab…

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Steve Lamb
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] exiscan, spamassassin, and per-domain bayes database
Steve Lamb wrote:

> Because of the global bayes DB his eBay auction notices are scored as
> ham which, in turn, lower the spam score of eBay/Paypal phishing spam
> to me. Without that global DB eBay would be a dead give-away spam
> marker. As it is it's middle of the road because he gets far more
> auction notices than I do phishing spam. Of course the corillary to
> this is that if I got a lot more of eBay/Paypal phishing spam than he
> did notices he wouldn't get notices as my system would reject them
> based on my score.

I'm not convinced. On my server, I share a bayes DB with 3 other users,
for similar reasons to yours -- I do all the ham training and quarantine
weeding, one of the other users does spam training with an IMAP folder
I've set up, and the other two do no training at all (other than
SpamAssassin's automatic training for messages with extremely high or
low scores). We're in 4 different fields (programmer, web designer,
audiologist, and landscape architect -- the first 2 of which are prone
to a lot of on-topic spam), and have very different interests/hobbies.
We've used this setup for about 6 months now, and I've _never_ seen a
spam get through that I could reasonably attribute to bayes weakness due
to sharing with the other three.

- Marc