Re: [exim] exiscan, spamassassin, and per-domain bayes datab…

Autor: Chad Leigh
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exiscan, spamassassin, and per-domain bayes database

On Jun 28, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Steve Lamb wrote:

> While this is, in the strictest sense, a Very Bad Thing(tm) since each
> user's mail is going to have a different set of words and phrases
> to learn I,
> too, set SA's bayes to global and leave it there.

In general I don't think this is really true (each user having a
different set). Conceptually it sounds nice but, at least on our
system, the majority of spam is sent to almost all the public
accounts on all the domains we run. At least a good portion is sent
so widely that one user's spam is similar to another users spam. I
monitor 7 accounts in about 5 domains and regularly get the same
messages in all. About the only spam where this is generally not
true is the "pseudo-spam" -- spam that comes from a legitimate mail
list -- like someone signed up for something or bought something from
sears.com or whatever and now they get a ton of ad mail spam-like
stuff from sears.com, whether they want it or not.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider