Re: [exim] Retry times

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve Sargent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Retry times
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Steve Sargent wrote:

> I now have a message that's been in the queue for 6 days:-

> Route: ybw008@??? error 0: SMTP error from remote mailer after
> RCPT TO:<ybw008@???>: host localhost.qmul.ac.uk [127.0.0.1]: 452
> 4.2.2 Over quota
> first failed: 21-Jun-2005 13:36:35
> last tried: 27-Jun-2005 14:06:50
> next try at: 27-Jun-2005 22:06:50
> past final cutoff time

OK, so it does know it has hit the end of the retry time.

> Exim version 4.34 uid=500 gid=500 pid=24006 D=fbb95cfd

Was this with -M or with -Mc?

> LOG: MAIN
> == ybw008@??? R=local_user_cyrus T=lmtp_delivery_over_ip defer
> (0): SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<ybw008@???>:
> host localhost.qmul.ac.uk [127.0.0.1]: 452 4.2.2 Over quota

It hits the problem....

> Writing retry data for R:ybw008@???
> first failed=1119357395 last try=1119884573 next try=1119913373 expired=1
> error 0 65: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<ybw008@???>: host localhost.qmul.ac.uk [127.0.0.1]: 452 4.2.2
> Over quota

... updates the retry data ...

> dbfn_write: key=R:ybw008@???
> timed out: all retries expired

LOG: MAIN
** ybw008@???: retry timeout exceeded

... and times out, as it should. Mutter.

However, you are running quite an old version of Exim (4.34). It is
possible this has been fixed. Here is a ChangeLog entry from 4.43:

14. Obscure bug fix: if a message error (e.g. 4xx to MAIL) happened within the
    same clock tick as a message's arrival, so that its received time was the
    same as the "first fail" time on the retry record, and that message
    remained on the queue past the ultimate address timeout, every queue runner
    would try a delivery (because it was past the ultimate address timeout) but
    after another failure, the ultimate address timeout, which should have then
    bounced the address, did not kick in. This was a "< instead of <=" error;
    in most cases the first failure would have been in the next clock tick
    after the received time, and all would be well.

The current release is 4.51, but I expect to release 4.52 before the end
of this week.