Re: [exim] auth smtp / user system

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] auth smtp / user system
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> The mail clients in wide use offer to store the passwords. That
> feature is so easily available so that people _are_ going to use it.

OK, but the user does that under their own responsibility, not yours.
If you're trying to nanny your users then I think there may be better
places to do it. And the ones I'm aware of don't store literally in
"clear text", which is what you said.

Anyway, I go back to what I said before. If you run two separate
password schemes, then users are very likely to use the same password
for both, which is actually somewhat worse than using the same
password scheme for both.

best regards