Re: [exim] auth smtp / user system

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] auth smtp / user system
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:12:11 +0200, "Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina"
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@???> wrote:
>I found how to implement AUTH_SMTH but login/pawwsd are stored in a
>passwd-like file.
>
>I know want to change it. I want now that only vallid system users can use
>the MTA. And they must use their system login/pass. There is a way to copy
>/etc/passwd, but may be there is another way? Would you point it to me?

There might be a way to use PAM, or to directly read /etc/passwd, but
I'd advise against doing so. System passwords are way too valuable to
use for e-mail authentication which usually means storing them in
clear text on the client.

At least make absolutely sure that your exim only advertises SMTP AUTH
over an encrypted connection, or the valueable system password will be
sent in the clear.

Greetings
MArc