Re: [exim-dev] Candidate for 4.52 release

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: exim-dev
New-Topics: Re: [exim-dev] Candidate for 4.52 release -- make failure, "No rule to make target `lookups/lookups.a', needed by `exim'"
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Candidate for 4.52 release
Philip Hazel wrote:

> ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-snapshot.tar.gz
>
> which is the first candidate for a 4.52 release. Please test.

In "scripts/os-type", the following code is slightly broken (please
excuse the sloppy cut-n-paste):

# In the case of Linux we need to distinguish which libc is used.
# This is more cautious than it needs to be. In practice libc5 will always
# be a symlink, and libc6 will always be a linker control file, but it's
# easy enough to do a better check, and check the symlink destination or the
# control file contents and make sure.

Linux)  if [ -L /usr/lib/libc.so ]; then
             if [ x"$(file /usr/lib/libc.so | grep "libc.so.5")"x != xx
]; then
                     os=Linux-libc5
             fi
         else
             if grep -q libc.so.5 /usr/lib/libc.so; then
                     os=Linux-libc5
             fi
         fi
         ;;

The "grep -q" spits annoyingly when libc.so lives in lib64, like on
x86_64 Fedora Core. The "if" fails, mercifully :)

Rather than fix it, perhaps "Linux-libc5" might like to be dropped as a
build? Does anyone still use it?

Slightly controversially,

Matt