Re: [exim] Possible to Customize Error Messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Possible to Customize Error Messages
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Fred Viles wrote:

> | "Message rejected by SMTP server. Check message content and attachments
> | Server Responded: valid RCPT command must precede DATA"
>
> That wasn't generated by exim. The DSN must have been generated by
> an upstream MTA.

Correct. None of that text is from Exim.

> | I would like to change it to something more friendly such as "Invalid TO
> | address specified".
>
> That you can't do. AFAIK, the SMTP 5xx text (and there may be
> several) from the remote server isn't available to the config file.

5xx text from remote servers is copied verbatim to any error messages,
log lines, etc.

Messing with what other servers generate is a Bad Idea. There are
clients out there that convert *any* 5xx message into "Unknown user",
which is a right PITA when you (the server admin) have crafted a
carefully worded message specifying exactly what is wrong (and it
usually *isn't* an unknown user).