Re: [exim] SMTP Problem

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP Problem
Tugdual de Lassat wrote:
> Thks a lot Ted, i indeed had forgotten to restart exim (how newbie i must
> make, sorry folks with my annoyements...)

oops. These things happen.

I'm not going to quote that entire log because I think there is something
fundamentaly wrong with what you are doing (afaict).

This is what I can gather from what you have posted so far.
You have an exim process listen on port 25. You have another computer that
connects to the exim server and is trying to send "emails". You start off the
transaction with a HELO, all good. You then RESET the SMTP transaction... ok,
weird. You then do a no-operation (NOOP), and RESET again. You then don't give
exim a HELO and go stright to the MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO: (so far so good), and
then RESET again. Bad. You've just restarted the transaction again and
triggered a message to the error log. For good measure, you RESET again.. NOOP
and RESET again.
I just had to get that out to prove that I hopefully wasn't going insane. This
is at least what I think you are doing.

SMTP is a conversation between 2 computers. They intoduce each other, they try
to figure out a common language they can talk in (7bit, 8bit, TLS etc), based
on those greetings. The source computer then tells the server a few critical
details about the email before it decides wether or not it's going to accept
that email. Once it has decided to accept it, it issues the OK, and reads the
message until the end. This is then the servers' last chance to reject that
mail before it issues the final OK and the message is considered delivered.

What you are doing with a RSET every second command is telling the serer
"Whoa! I don't know what you are talking about, or it's just a bad time for me
- - let's start from scratch. HELO I'm a client"

If what you were doing EVER worked, there was a seriously broken server involved.

SMTP - a normal converstaion (ish)
220 mail.fqdn.of.mail.server ESMTP Exim 4.51
HELO my.valid.fqdn
250 mail.fqdn.of.mail.server Hello my.valid.fqdn [256.123.23.12]
MAIL FROM: ted@???
250 OK
RCPT TO: ted@???
250 Accepted
DATA
354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
[blah]
.
250 OK id=1Dkiad-0003qY-T3

No RSET's anywhere. If I've missed something, oops. Otherwise, I think you
need to look your source program a little more carefully.

Ted.