how does typical zombie work? (was Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chad Leigh
To: Exim Users List
Alte Treads: Re: [exim] Rate Limiting?
Betreff: how does typical zombie work? (was Re: [exim] Rate Limiting? )
Let me ask what may be an ignorant question...

When a typical PC is zombified and starts spewing spam, does it do it
through the PC User's MUA like Outlook or do they have their own
inbuilt "smtp" server? The ones I have read about have always seemed
to be the latter and hence requiring authenticated smtp for users to
send would block this. But if the spam-zombies are hijacking the
user's Outlook or other client, then they would have access to the
authentication capability that is usually stored in a pref. and
requiring authenticated smtp would not block it.

Thanks for any insight.

As of yet we have not had any zombies spewing through our servers
that I have been able to detect and have had no complaints. Trying
to understand this and plan for the future

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC